By Kathryn Gutzwiller
- A consultant to the literature of the Hellenistic age, from the dying of Alexander the nice in 323 BCE to the conflict of Actium in 31 BC
- Provides overviews of the social, political, highbrow and literary ancient contexts within which Hellenistic literature was once produced
- Introduces the main writers and genres of the period
- Provides information regarding variety, meter and languages to help readers without earlier wisdom of the language in knowing technical points of literary Greek
- Distinctive in its insurance of present concerns in Hellenistic feedback, together with viewers reception, the political and social heritage, and Hellenistic theories of literature
Read or Download A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
Reviews at the textual content of Macrobius' Saturnalia is a spouse to new variants of Macrobius' encyclopedic discussion which are to seem within the Loeb Classical Library and the Oxford Classical Texts sequence. the 1st bankruptcy stories the result of a brand new survey of the entire extant manuscripts of the paintings written ahead of the thirteenth century and offers the 1st unique stemma, which permits the early medieval archetype to be reconstructed extra reliably than formerly.
Lament turns out to were common within the historic international. As such, it really is an outstanding touchstone for the comparative examine of attitudes in the direction of demise and the afterlife, human kin to the divine, perspectives of the cosmos, and the structure of the cloth of society in numerous instances and areas. This choice of essays deals the 1st ever comparative method of historical Mediterranean and close to jap traditions of lament.
Nach den Katalogen der Universitätsbibliothek Düsseldorf, der Stadtbibliotheken Trier und Köln sowie des Hauptstaatsarchivs Koblenz schließt das Verzeichnis eine große Lücke in der Erschließung des überaus reichen rheinischen Handschriftenerbes des Mittelalters. Einschließlich der Kriegsverluste und der Fragmente sind 316 Codices des eight.
Historical intercourse: New Essays provides groundbreaking paintings in a post-Foucauldian mode on sexuality, sexual identities, and gender identities in historical Greece and Rome. because the creation of Foucault’s heritage of Sexuality, the sector of classics has been stuck in a recursive loop of argument concerning the existence—or lack thereof—of "sexuality" (particularly "homosexuality") as a significant cultural proposal for old Greece and Rome.
Additional info for A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature)
A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) by Kathryn Gutzwiller