By Kirk Ormand
- First choice of its variety to supply introductory essays to the fragments of his misplaced performs and to the remainder fragments of 1 satyr-play, the Ichneutae, as well as every one of his extant tragedies
- Features new essays on Sophoclean drama that pass way past the present country of scholarship on Sophocles
- Presents readings that historicize Sophocles with regards to the social, cultural, and highbrow international of 5th century Athens
- Seeks to put later interpretations and variations of Sophocles of their historic context
- Includes essays devoted to problems with gender and sexuality; major moments within the historical past of examining Sophocles; and reception of Sophocles by means of either historical and sleek playwrights
Read Online or Download A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
Stories at the textual content of Macrobius' Saturnalia is a better half to new variations of Macrobius' encyclopedic discussion which are to seem within the Loeb Classical Library and the Oxford Classical Texts sequence. the 1st bankruptcy stories the result of a brand new survey of all of the extant manuscripts of the paintings written sooner than the thirteenth century and gives the 1st precise stemma, which permits the early medieval archetype to be reconstructed extra reliably than formerly.
Lament turns out to were common within the old international. As such, it's an exceptional touchstone for the comparative research of attitudes in the direction of demise and the afterlife, human relatives to the divine, perspectives of the cosmos, and the structure of the material of society in several occasions and locations. This number of essays bargains the 1st ever comparative method of historical Mediterranean and close to japanese traditions of lament.
Nach den Katalogen der Universitätsbibliothek Düsseldorf, der Stadtbibliotheken Trier und Köln sowie des Hauptstaatsarchivs Koblenz schließt das Verzeichnis eine große Lücke in der Erschließung des überaus reichen rheinischen Handschriftenerbes des Mittelalters. Einschließlich der Kriegsverluste und der Fragmente sind 316 Codices des eight.
Historic intercourse: New Essays provides groundbreaking paintings in a post-Foucauldian mode on sexuality, sexual identities, and gender identities in old Greece and Rome. because the construction of Foucault’s historical past of Sexuality, the sector of classics has been stuck in a recursive loop of argument concerning the existence—or lack thereof—of "sexuality" (particularly "homosexuality") as a significant cultural proposal for old Greece and Rome.
Additional info for A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sophocles (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Kirk Ormand